What the Outdoors can do for YOU!
Being outdoors is good for the body, mind and soul!
We've heard it all before, being outside in the sun is a helpful form of vitamin D! But being outside can help with SO much more than just getting vitamin D. Even if the sun isn't out - you can still benefit a ton from being outside. Here are a few things to motivate you to get out more!
1. The outdoors boost your immune system. Scientists think that breathing in phytoncides - airborne chemicals produced by plants - increases our level of white blood cells, helping us fight of infections and diseases.
2. It feels easier to exercise outdoors. Does it seem noticeably easier to exercise outside? This might be thanks to your verdant surroundings. In one small study, researchers had cyclists pedal in front of green, grey and red video footage. The bikers who exercised in front of the green reported feeling less physical exertion and more positive moods - meaning that grass, trees, and plants add a psychological energy boost your workout.
3. The outdoors enhances creativity. If you're struggling with writer's block, you might want to ditch your laptop for the great outdoors. Psychologists found that backpackers scored 50 percent higher on creativity tests after spending a few days in the wild.
4. The outdoors helps us refocus and ground us to what really matters. According to psychologists, exposure to nature helps us shrug off societal pressures, allowing us to remember and value important things like relationships, sharing and community.
5. The outdoors provides you with free aromatherapy. According to science you really should stop and smell the flowers. Research shows that natural scents like roses, freshly cut grass, and pine make you feel calmer and more relaxed.
As John Muir (founder of National Parks) “Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” So get outside today or sometime this week friends!
Have a great week Warrior!